Wednesday 15 June 2011

Jog on

So I stopped smoking a week ago. This morning at about 730 in the morning I went for a run. I've never done any exercise in my life since I was at school, but it was a deal I made with myself that I would start running when I stopped smoking. You know, I quite enjoyed it. I got one of those iPhone apps that maps my route, gives me my maximum and minimum pace, and tells me how far I have ran etc.

As a statistics geek, this really makes it fun for me. I also run another app that tells me when to walk and when to run. The plan I am following promises me that I'll be able to run 5km non stop within 8 weeks. This seems pretty impossible right now, but by increasing the amount of running each day and decreasing the amount of walking I may well get there.

Today I had no particular route in mind, but I headed up towards the New North Road, turned on to Essex Road, over to Upper Street and down to Islington Green where I found the Regents Canal. I should have remembered about the canal before. This is where I shall do most of my running I think. It's quite a nice place, with no cars to avoid or roads to cross and I can nod in solidarity with all the other runners I pass. I was astonished to find that this morning I had covered 2 miles!

I have been advised to run 3 times a week. I want to go back out tomorrow, but I will be sensible about it. Who knows how long this will last? But without trying to sicken you, I felt pretty good after today's run, and i can see why people say that exercise can be addictive. I'll try not to write about every single run I do, but will update you on the milestones!

No comments:

Post a Comment