Saturday 11 June 2011

Simon Munnery at Angel Comedy

Simon Munnery
You know that feeling when you've been working all night and finished at 7am and you have a couple of cans in the morning to celebrate the end of your run of night shifts, and you haven't smoked for 4 days, and you get home and you check Twitter, and Catie Wilkins says there is a free gig at a pub just round the corner from where you live and you don't know any of the comics apart from Simon Munnery, but you really want to see Simon Munnery and you can't get anyone to go with you?

Well, that happened to me tonight.

There were lots of acts on, but I want to skip past most of them. The compere was not too bad. He did remind me of a slim Justin Lee Collins, and at times it was so bad I even wished the actual JLC was compering. But he was OK. A few good lines, but in general mainly hack stuff, as indeed, most of the acts on tonight had.

This was the venue that used to host the Fortnight Club, and it was absolutely packed. Still, the bar staff still had no idea what was going on or how much it was or when anything started. Nothing changes!

Ben Target
I'll skip past the shit/average acts (I don't want to be unkind) and soon Ben Target was on stage. I hadn't heard of him, and his introduction of being "left field" instantly made me not want to like him. However as the show went on I found him funnier and funnier. The joke about the tiny cake and huge candle worked so well! And the crowd surfing at the end was a surprise!

Simon Munnery was on at the end. Now I had lots of beer and stuff so I can't quite tell you too much, but wow. He was fucking hilarious. The last time I saw him was at Club Duckie at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern when he was the League Of Tedium and I was amazed then too.

If you cross Stewart Lee with Robin Ince, then you get Simon Munnery. I can't underestimate the importance of seeing him if you haven't done before. Angel Comedy runs every Saturday and it's free free free!

No comments:

Post a Comment